Tuesday, September 25, 2012

1966 Disneyland Map Auction!

This past Sunday was another glorious almost fall day here in New England!  Wanted to go for a ride anywhere...  So off we went to Wilmington to the Boston Auctions and Antiques auction.  They are Auctionzip auctioneer #29986.  We decided to head that way because of a photo they had of a mixed lot of Mickey Mouse goodies.  Nothing special in the photo, but I couldn't tell what was beyond or under what showed in the photo...  Mickey, as always, was calling my name! 
So we got there with plenty of time to preview all the great box lots and everything else.  All box lots start at just $2!  Wonderful mixed lots.  Mickey's box wasn't very exciting.  But right next to that box was a great looking lot of bright Japanese goodies.  As I was picking through it, I opened up a small cloth bag that contained a vintage View Master and about two dozen reels that went with it.  I took them out and started reading them~ Badlands, Yosemite, Disneyland!  Then 9 more vintage Disneyland!  I put them back and noticed a large folded paper against the inside of the box.  I unfolded it and it was a vintage souvenir map of Disneyland!  I had to run to my seat to get my glasses...  Read the info printed on the map and it said 1966!!  I HAD to have that map! 
The auction started...  We won a sound board for our son for just $10.  A pair of hand painted artist signed and dated chairs for $5 each.  My conservative husband liked them because they were nice sturdy chairs... I liked them because they were different.  Won a ton of cookie cutters in three lots.  So inexpensive I bought them all~ $5, $8, and $9.  Holidays, letters, animals, etc.  A souvenir package of cactus cookie cutters~ so cute!  Would take many photos to show them all.  Assorted decorator's tools too.  And wouldn't you know right in the middle of the first big basketful was a Mickey Mouse cookie cutter!  Can you find him in the photo? 
Two Colonial re-enactors showed up!  VERY cool!  They were sooo old and grizzled, and their uniforms were so real, they looked like ghosts who were visiting auctions and anyplace else where they might find whatever it was they left behind...  The one time I forget a camera...
While chatting with a lovely lady and admiring a box lot she had won, I commented on the cool purse that was in the box~ it was made from telephone cords!  She gave it to me!  That's the kind of people that tend to be at the Wilmington auctions~ we all share.  Especially with box lots where you often only want one or two things. 
Then it's time for the box lot with the Disneyland map!  Starts at $2 like all of them...  I put up my bidding number and have no intention of putting it down until I win...  Somebody bid against me!  I get weird about people bidding against me for certain Disney items.  I want to turn and look at them and say "don't waste your time, it's mine!"   Especially vintage Disneyland treasures.  What I consider the original batch of pixie dust~ when Walt Disney still walked the park! 
Oh!  I almost forgot to tell you~ I am sure you already figured out I won the box lot with the map, but I have to tell you it was only $22.  Did my happy dance right into the evening!  Even better~ when I got home, I looked the map up and one had just sold on ebay for $44~ and mine is in better condition!
But to me it's... priceless  :)   
Makes me wonder~  What makes you do YOUR happy dance?  
Have a magical day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment