Wednesday, September 5, 2012

SoWa~ Farmers & Vendors & Food Trucks!

Last Sunday my oldest son, Josh, and I went off to discover the SoWa Open Market.  www.sowaopenmarket.com   An outdoor market open every Sunday through November.  I have heard about it for years, but never managed to make it there.  A little Farmers' Market, a little Crafts Fair, and a little Vintage Flea Market!  All rolled together in a LOT of great shopping and fun!! 














Park just two short blocks away and make your way down to the first half of the market~ the Farmers' Market with all manner of fresh fruits, veggies, and flowers.  Also plenty of fresh baked goodies, nuts, salsas, and more!  Including Michele's Totally Awesome Gourmet Popcorn~ a recent favorite at the 2012 Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards!  
Then you make your way through the beautiful old factory building, through a grand archway, past the eclectic mix of people munching their way along, to get to the other side of the market.  That's where most of the vendors and all the food trucks are.  I don't know about you, but I think food trucks are fascinating!  Lobster, cupcakes, burritos, veggie sandwiches, grilled cheese, giant hot dogs.. and more, much more!  And these weren't even ALL the ones that visit regularly!  Before this market, my only experience ordering from a food truck was from the soft serve ice cream truck that stopped at the swimmin' hole my Dad used to take me to!  I ordered a fabulous lobster roll, Josh got a giant burrito, and we found ourselves seats at one of the picnic tables.  Not a lot of tables, but plenty of steps and stone walls where you can perch and eat your lunch.
Then it was time to check out some of the vendors~ crafters were all there~ plenty of recycled and upcycled goods.  I was a little surprised at the prices, but as Josh pointed out that was probably because I could make the home sewn goodies myself!  My favorite vendor of the day sold out of her own custom painted hot pink truck!  Lola's Urban Vintage~ Where Street Meets Chic!   
Then it was time to venture indoors...  Following the sandwich board that said "Vintage"!  Slowly made our way into a doorway that seemed packed with people.  Once we were in~ Eureka!  We hit the motherlode!  Clothing, suitcases, shoes, jewelry, shabby chic furniture, you name it...  along with my favorite glasses and dishes from the fifties and sixties!!    Alas, my computer has decided I have done enough for the evening.  More photos will have to wait~ especially the ones of the shops in permanent locations that are open year round.  Including a real hat shop!  With real hats like they wore at the royal wedding!  Now it's time for me to get ready for tomorrow's adventure~ a trip to Brimfield Flea Market~ which is, according to any publication that reports these things, always one of the top five flea markets in the country! 

No comments:

Post a Comment